House Painting Estimator
I recommend that you work with a partner on this although
it is not mandatory.
This estimator will serve two purposes. (1) It will serve as a bill to
your clients. (2) It will provide sufficient instructions to your paint
crew for them to do their job.
Create an Excel spreadsheet template that could be used by an house painter
to estimate the cost of house painting work. The spreadsheet should:
- Be professionally formatted and print on one page--use shading
- Include areas to input the following data:
- Customer name and fax/phone
- Billing Address
- Work site address
- Contact person name and phone
- Work start date
- Completion date
- Job data (see below)
- At the bottom a notice should be displayed that indicates any bills paid
within 15 days of the completion date will receive a 5% discount. The
estimated date the discount applies should be calculated and displayed along
with the discounted amount.
Job data is used to estimate the cost of the work. Factors that contribute to
the cost include: area to be painted, number of coats, number of different paint
colors to be used, surcharge for gloss paint work, additional costs for
stripping old paint, if scaffolding is needed, light over dark/dark over light
paint cover-up issues. The following data is collected:
- Total square footage = area to be painted---$0.75 per square foot.
- Total square footage = area to be stripped before painting----$0.50 per
- Maximum painting height from ground - if over 20 feet will need scaffold---$0.20
per square foot.